Magnesium Sulfate … Better known as Epsom Salts are a bit of a fall back plan in my world. They are the “Its too darn cold to take an ice bath” recovery alternative.
This evening as I sank down in a lovely warm Epsom Salt bath and felt my tension and aches melt away, I began to wonder why Epson is the step-child of my recovery. Maybe they should be given a bigger role?
According to the Epsom Salt Council the benefits are substantial. Here are a few that I thought were incredibly relevant for runners and athletes:
- Ease stress and improves sleep and concentration – Excess adrenaline and stress are believed to drain magnesium, a natural stress reliever, from the body.
- Help muscles and nerves function properly
- Reduce inflammation to relieve pain and muscle cramps
- Improve oxygen use
- Flush toxins
- Improve absorption of nutrients
- Sulfates play a vital role in the formation of mucin proteins that line the walls of the digestive tract. These mucin proteins line the gut and lubricate it for the passage of food.
- Sulfates stimulate the pancreas to generate digestive enzymes
- Help detoxify the body’s residue of medicines and environmental contaminants.