Coming as a surprise to no one … (but me) my workouts have changed in a big way during the first trimester. I think there are 3 reasons for this:
- Exhaustion … I mean wow. A 60 Min soul cycle class feels like a long run now
- Nausea/”morning” sickness … so with the Gs I was able to push past the nausea and work out. The fresh air helped and it was always a good thing. Not so much with this little one. I have had multiple runs or walks where I pulled over to be sick. Something about the heart rate made me queasy and there was no pushing past it.
- Fear. I had 3 miscarriages last year alone. I have been legit scared for the past 11 weeks and taking it really easy on myself. I have zero regrets about this and would reccomend to anyone who is pregnant to follow what your gut tells you to do.
Even though all of the above explanations make complete sense and I know that I should expect a slow down, my mind still doesn’t work that way. Throughout this trimester I would make my fitness plan for the week, and inevitably over plan. But I guess shoot for the stars?!
Baby Biceps are there … and I’m trying to keep them!
So I thought it would be fun to do a little write up about fitness week by week. Telling you what my plan was vs what actually happened.
FYI I come up with my fitness plans for the week as a way of pre planning my “me” time … (see my guide for fitting in fitness here)
Because I’m not training for any races I tend to make my fitness plan around classes that I sign up for - i.e. Soul Cycle, Bar Method, or Orange Theory … and I fill it in from there with what sounds fun. So here we go …
(4) My Fitness Plan vs. Actual Week of 2/23 – 3/1
- Monday Plan: Run/Walk for 45 mins
- Monday Actual: Rest Day. Unplanned, completely lovely rest day.
- Tuesday Plan: Soul Cycle – 45 Mins
- Tuesday Actual: Soul Cycle with Daniel – 45 mins
- Wednesday Plan: Bar Method – 60 Mins
- Wednesday Actual: Run/Walk 90 mins … I went to Bar Method with the full intention of taking a class only to find out that I needed a doctors note because I finally told then I was preggo. You guys, I literally got kicked out of class. It was so embarrassing. So I took the Gs to school and headed to my favorite path in NJ to blow off a little steam.
- Thursday Plan: Bar Method – 60 Mins
- Thursday Actual: Bar Method (with a doctors note)
- Friday Plan: Rest Day after CVS Test
- Friday Actual: Rest Day. I was pretty sore from the CVS and I didnt really want to get out of bed at all. Thankfully VC stayed home and helped with the kids.
- Saturday Plan: Long walk or Reformer
- Saturday Actual: BOTH!! When I finally emerged from the bedroom saturday morning I was FULL of energy. I wanted to take it easy on my walk (I always say I’m going to walk and end up running) so I took Skye with me and we headed out for a nice long/hilly walk. When I got back my mom had the kids under control so I headed down to the gym for a little reformer love.
- Sunday Plan: Soul Cycle – 60 Mins
- Sunday Actual: Soul Cycle 60 Mins with Ellianna. This was a struggle, but I felt great when I was finished.
Total Miles Run: 3
I would call the week a win. I am absolutely feeling more energy this week than the previous weeks. I also had a bit of mental anxiety lifted when we had a clear CVS and a beautiful UltraSound showing a healthy and active baby. On to the next week. My goals for next week are to incorporate a tad more running and see how it feels.
How about you? What goals did you accomplish this week? Fit Mamas … did your first trimester workouts look drastically different from the rest of the pregnancy?