Spring … crossing my fingers that its on the way. Winter has been one tough beast this year.
I tend to feel anew in spring, I want to open windows, clean everything and feel light and fresh especially after being couped up all winter long. I clean out my closets, switch out my winter jackets and of course, clean out my cupboards. I really enjoy a clean non cluttered kitchen, including pantry, fridge and all cupboards. Its borderline obsessive, but I figure there are worse things to obsess over right?!
Courtesy of Balance Bar (I am a 2014 Ambassador) I was able to chat with nationally recognized Registered Dietician Sharon Richter and leader of the #SpringintoBalance movement. She spoke to my Spring Cleaning (and obsessively organized) heart with her wisdom. I applied them to my Spring Cleaning Pantry Makeover and wanted to share some of her tips with you:
HOW TO: Conduct a Pantry and Refrigerator Makeover
- Take everything out of the cupboard
- Look at expirations dates. Remove anything expired or rancid.
- Organize into categories (herbs, canned, breakfast foods, dry goods)
- Read the labels, analyze your food …
⁃ Do you have some items that have High Fructose Corn Syrup, hydrogenated oils or MSG? Get RID of them!
⁃ What is the Sodium Content of your canned goods? The average person should consume no more than 2400mg in a day – look at sodium content and portion size.
HOW TO: Reorganize your food back into your cupboards and refrigerator.
- Put the healthiest items at eye level so that when you grab something its always a good option.
- Portion control – portion things out in advance. Prep for yourself. **Sharon says that she uses snack size baggies to measure out cereal portions and then puts the baggies back in the cereal box – GENIUS! **
- Use tupperware and baskets to organize your food and dry goods. An organized kitchen leads to a more awareness when eating
Here’s an extra tip from me … keep all of your snacks (pretzels, chips, cookies, crackers) in a basket in your pantry.
This keeps bags from flopping around and looking messy BUT it also keeps you from instinctively grabbing that bag of chips when you’re hungry. If you don’t see it right away you are less likely to “just grab a few” or snack on empty processed calories rather than healthier alternatives.
￼Join me for a Twitter Chat!
Balance Bar and Sharon Richter will be hosting a live, one-hour Twitter party focused on Spring Cleaning TOMORROW Thursday, March 20 at 3:00 PM EST.
Joining the Twitter party via the hashtag #SpringIntoBalance will be the most trusted natural products company, J.R. Watkins, and Balance Bar blogger ambassadors, Sweet Life Ericka, The Nutritionist Reviews, and me!.
*Balance Bar and J.R. Watkins products will also be given away to participants using the hashtag throughout the Twitter Party.